Security Basics mailing list archives

Is there any way to test the health of a solid state drive?

From: Aftermath <aftermath.thegreat () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:58:37 -0700

Solid state drives do not act the same as drives with platters. When a
sector is corrupted or damaged there are tools out there to detect
this. With drives with platters you can also do other kinds of tests
to see if the drive is healthy (such as mechanics tests, random read
tests etc).

Solid state drives do not get bad sector like platter HDDs.

I've come across failing solid state drives that test 100% good with
tools like PC doctor (a boot cd for testing multiple devices on a
computer) even tho I am confident that the SSD has reached the end of
its life. I've come to this conclusion by several signs such as
disappearing files, constant errors of all sorts (even tho the ram
tests good as does all other hardware) and the in-ability to install
an OS even tho I was able to format the drive.

The only thing that I could come up with from google searching is to
use a program like HD tune to benchmark the drive and then compare the
results from a known good drive of the same time. This is really
impractical because it would require one to buy the exact same drive
and benchmark it.

So... does anyone have any suggestions for testing SSDs to see if that
it can no longer hold writes and/or no longer accurately read the
reads?

Thanks in advance

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1