Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security Basics!

From: Everett Maus <starev91 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:43:00 -0500

Heya:

Well, there's wargames and forums for (very basic) stuff at hackthissite.org and smashthestack.org;  although the tenor
is somewhat gray-hat among the communities there, they do a decent job of teaching the basics of web hacking and buffer
overflows/underflows/etc.

Both securitytube.net and hackermedia.org have more sound/video based stuff;  securitytube.net is basically a lot of
video tutorials, and hackermedia.org has a lot of podcasts (which is more good for learning the basics of security
through induction).

Google around for more stuff.

Also, to expand on the original question put forth by the poster, what's considered sort of "the baseline" for a job in
compsec, both in terms of coding and in terms of skills/knowledge?  Certifications?  What else?  I'm curious to see
what other people think is necessary to be able to say "I have a bit of a background in computer security."

EJM