Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Information security on Twitter

From: "Jan G.B." <ro0ot.w00t () googlemail com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 15:10:03 +0200

2010/4/14 David Kovar <dkovar () gmail com>:
On Apr 14, 2010, at 4:59 AM, John Morrison wrote:

Jan,

Personally I treat Tweets as unreliable. If I see something
interesting I will look for more reliable sources.

<stuff deleted>

The quality of the Tweets depends on who you follow and is much like any
other source you might use. There are reliable and unreliable mailing lists,
web sites, blogs, and RSS feeds. It isn't the communication mechanism that
determines their quality.

-David

I agree with that. But I don't think that the quality is the topic
here. Assuming that twitter has some single tweets of new information
with high quality (*cough* => quality worth 140 chars), then what
would make twitter usable for us? What would a person interested in
security things need?

(
 * strict Topic focus of the persons doing tweets [can never be accomplished]
OR
 * ability to categorize on an item level
) AND (
 * usable archive function
 * reliability
 * unmoderated contents
 * more ...
)

AFAIK, twitter hasn't got any of it. For me, it is worthless. And I
don't believe that twitter is meant to be a medium for "PUBLISHING".
It's meant for small advertisements and status messages leading
somewhere else.

A Side note: In the OPs tweets (twitter.com/n3td3v) you find a link to
a comment (proposition) of himself:
http://news.cnet.com/8618-27080_3-20002385.html?communityId=2134&targetCommunityId=2134&blogId=245&messageId=9269223&tag=mncol
This shows pretty clear, that his goal hasn't got anything to do with
bringing information to the masses. It's about suppressing
information. I don't get what he's up to when speaking about an
_unmoderated_ list *here*. This government-led list he's dreaming
about would work directly with services like twitter to get rid of
unwanted information and people, I assume. Researchers would be jailed
so there's no need to list them, hm? :-)

Regards

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1