Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: [Full-disclosure] Compliance Is Wasted Money, Study Finds

From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <Thor () hammerofgod com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 18:31:58 +0000

Three things:

1) I am one of those people, as many of us are.
2) I disagree - compliance with the standard, as put forth by the body developing the standard, certainly implies a
real security benefit.  Does PCI=Security?  No, but it certainly helps.  There is a huge difference between "ensure"
and "imply."  Using them together like that as if they are synonymous is a red herring.   Think about what you just
said: "it doesn't imply real security."  THAT doesn't define ANYTHING actionable.  Nothing.   What the standard does IS
to define at least measures to be taken that can increase security - it has specifics and action items.  It is
tangible.  And, it is far more likely to provide a real benefit than not.  It *certainly* does more than having some
policy say "You must imply real security."  If you are one of those people that care about security,  and if your
takeaway from PCI is that "it doesn't imply real security" but you fail to tell us what does, then I would have to say
you are not really providing any benefit.
3) "Apparently not a cost of doing business" how?  What did I say that makes that statement apparent?   I fail to see
how you can connect what the OP stated as "Compliance is Wasted Money" with "apparently having a secure network is not
a cost of doing business."   They are two different things.   If you want to process credit cards in your business to
make more money, and the credit card industry says, up front, "ok, you can play if you follow these rules," then that
is a cost of doing business.  If you actually do enough business to justify PCI audits, and you as a security person
implement a system that passes all PCI audit requirements as written, but still FAIL to have a system where no security
is implied, then YOU have not done your job.  No amount a blaming PCI's inadequacies is going to make up for people not
taking responsibility for doing their jobs.  Period.