Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Assembly Language Basics?

From: Vivek Ramachandran <vivek () securitytube net>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 16:03:43 +0530

Hi John,

I had created a full assembly language series and posted in on SecurityTube http://www.securitytube.net sometime back.

It's important to know that I am using GAS as the assembler and AT&T syntax. I will be posting a windows asm primer next week which will illustrate the Intel syntax.

For your convinience, here are the links to the videos: (i have also given the tinyurl version of the link as some email readers break the ")" in the URL)

Assembly Language Primer of Hackers Video Series:

--------------

1. System Organization Concepts:

http://securitytube.net/Assembly-Primer-for-Hackers-(Part-1)-System-Organization-video.aspx
http://tinyurl.com/ceq5fy

2. Virtual Memory Basics:

http://securitytube.net/Assembly-Primer-for-Hackers-(Part-2)-Virtual-Memory-Organization-video.aspx
http://tinyurl.com/c7o956

3. GDB Primer:

http://securitytube.net/Assembly-Primer-for-Hackers-(Part-3)-GDB-Usage-Primer-video.aspx
http://tinyurl.com/cmsvfj

4. Coding your first Hello World program

http://securitytube.net/Assembly-Primer-for-Hackers-(Part-4)-Hello-World-video.aspx
http://tinyurl.com/dj9fgn

5. Data types in Assembly:

http://securitytube.net/Assembly-Primer-for-Hackers-(Part-5)-Data-Types-video.aspx
http://tinyurl.com/cs6cy4

6. Moving Data around in a program:

http://securitytube.net/Assembly-Primer-for-Hackers-(Part-6)-Moving-Data-video.aspx
http://tinyurl.com/cmwv3r

7. Working with Strings::

http://securitytube.net/Assembly-Primer-for-Hackers-(Part-7)-Working-with-Strings-video.aspx
http://tinyurl.com/dlav5f

8. Unconditional Branching techniques:

http://securitytube.net/Assembly-Primer-for-Hackers-(Part-8)-Unconditional-Branching-video.aspx
http://tinyurl.com/djthgy

9. Conditional Branching using the JMP family:

http://securitytube.net/Assembly-Primer-for-Hackers-(Part-9)-Conditional-Branching-video.aspx
http://tinyurl.com/ce9npc

10. Functions in Assembly

http://securitytube.net/Assembly-Primer-for-Hackers-(Part-10)-Functions-video.aspx
http://tinyurl.com/cy8b9m

11. Understanding the Stack

http://securitytube.net/Assembly-Primer-for-Hackers-(Part-11)-Functions-Stack-video.aspx
http://tinyurl.com/dh72ow

---------------------------------------

Feedback welcome!

Thanks,

Vivek

john.doyer () hushmail com wrote:
Hello All,

I am interested in learning code exploitation and reverse engineering and understand that Assembly language is the first step towards it.

Wanted to know if someone is aware of a good source for assembly language meant for reverse engineers and hackers?

Thanks,

JD

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1