Security Basics mailing list archives

Taskforce Tackles New IT Security Metrics

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 13:03:11 -0400

http://www.govinfosecurity.com/articles.php?art_id=1832

The Federal Chief Information Officers Council has established a
taskforce to develop new information security performance metrics that
focus on outcomes.

On the blog of the IT Dashboard, federal CIO Vivek Kundra and Navy CIO
Robert Carey and Justice CIO Vance Hitch (co-chairs of the council's
Information Security and Identity Management Committee) write that
approaches to cybersecurity must confront new realities as threats to
the nation's IT security evolve, adding:

"In order to meet the evolving challenges we now face, Federal
Information Security Management Act metrics need to be rationalized to
focus on outcomes over compliance. Doing so will enable new and
actionable insight into agencies' information and network security
postures, possible vulnerabilities and the ability to better protect
our federal systems."

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1