Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Getting to know the pulse of security breaches, within our enterprise!

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 13:49:37 -0600

From what I gather, you basically want to watch all the logs and all the traffic patterns in your environment and flag
on things that you would deem suspicious, either because of their mere presence, or after a certain treshold/criteria
is met. I may be wrong, and if so I think the more examples you give, the more input you may receive. I think there
may just be some confusion on what you're talking about because this can be a rather *huge* scope.

One thing to keep in mind, depending on the size and status of your organization, you may experience 95%+ false
positives on your red flags, and there may be nothing you can do about it except investigate each one. Likewise, it can
be difficult to get all the data you want, especially intra-network (as opposed to what traverses perimeters) without
getting a robust endpoint agent.

This leads down the path of SEIM, as you mentioned, or an endpoint security suite with centralized data collection. But
while such products are trying to be efficient, they almost always dilute the information that you receive. Too often,
diluted so much as to be useless or horribly incomplete. Or you'll just get too much noise and then tune things down so
much that you'll miss attacks within tuned-out channels. And so on. If you're lucky (arguably), you might find a good
suite of tools, but you'll probably pay the price in administrative costs to manage the whole beast.

SEIMs sound great on paper, but in practice I'm not sure anyone has been happy with the investment.  But they certainly
may be a part of your total security posture; they just shouldn't be all of it.

There is still value in having good analysts also looking at the raw data rather than dashboards interpreted from the
data by third-party apps.

<- snip ->

Thanks for the only reply that I have recievd to this one Paul. Maybe the
other thought that by the subject line it's probably some product blitz. :)

nevertheless, the core concept is not about what guys / user community might
be doing inadvertently. I do agree with you that an online anonymous
security reporting mechanism will be helpful though.

I was thinking in terms of having some SIEM (Security Information and Event
Management ) system be put in place but with affordable cost. Has anyone
done it to get their threat profile?

One most important area of concern is that related to real time monitoring
of High-risk roles and assets. It's a given that assets with a greater
impact on network security or company revenue, should receive greater
protection. Agreed, that certain groundwork is required to assess all
internal employee roles and responsibilities, then determine which roles
need closer monitoring for internal security breaches; but once that's done,
I need to have infrastructure in place that Audits my security to make sure
users with greater privileges only access the appropriate files and no
suspicious activity goes on.

That was the motive behind this posting.

Requesting guys around to share their experiences / inputs.

Thanks in advance.