Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Hard Drive eraser recommendation

From: "Craig S. Wright" <craig.wright () Information-Defense com>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 06:51:45 +1000

Anything that uses the "secure erase" (SE) feature of the ATA command set.

Any single wipe is ok, the issue is that they may not complete and may not
get all sectors.

Setting an ATA (inc. SATA, PATA etc) drive to SE mode means that it will
complete a wipe. In fact, it will continue the wipe process if the drive is
powered down and moved to another host.

You power the drive down with a normal wipe tool, you have a partially wiped
drive.

You power down with SE set, and the firmware on the drive will start to wipe
the remaining sectors even without an OS. As soon as it is powered, it
starts a wipe cycle. If you are in a hurry, modern (PATAII etc) drives have
an encrypted sector. When SE is run, the key is deleted first. This means
that you have a fairly secure erase in milliseconds and this remains even if
the platter is transferred to another unit.

See:
http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml

Regards,
Dr. Craig S Wright GSE, GSE-Malware, GSE-Compliance, LLM, & ...
Information Defense Pty Ltd