Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How do I find out what hop is not forwarding traffic on a specific port?

From: Alex Fiuvertiz <fiuvertiz () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 21:10:40 +0100

Perhaps firewalk will solve that question? I'm not sure I completely
understood the problem, but if you're having a firewall/router in
front of a network and wants to map the firewall's rulebase than
perhaps firewalk could help.
But you will have to know a host on the inside network of the filtering devices.
The method will only work at level 3 firewalls/filtering devices.
You let firewalk calculate the TTL so that TTL is 1 when you get to
the firewall/router/filtering device. If the firewall is letting the
traffic through, the TTL will reach 0 and a ICMP message is returned.
If the fw is not letting the traffic through, the packet is simply
dropped.

/ Alex