Security Basics mailing list archives

Detecting Mutating Javascript

From: TSS <tss () activeattack com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 06:24:02 -0600

Hi,

I'm looking for people working on detecting mutating Javascript. I've
been working on detecting Javascript encoded in whitespace and
have come up with a few ideas so far:
* Signature detection on the decoder function (lame)
* Analyzing the whitespace to try to find encoded information (decent,
  but difficult because there could be so many encoding schemes)
* Building character frequency maps from non-malicious Javascript
  libraries and detecting anomalies in the number of whitespace
  characters compared to the average.
I'm basically just looking to benchmark the stuff I've done so far
against the work of other people.  Any tips you could give me would
be appreciated. :)

Oh also, I'm wondering if anyone knows of Javascript worms that
have made use of this technique.  I'd like to run my detector against
actual code found in the wild, but I'm not sure where to find it.

TSS

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1