Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Is snort an overkill for desktop only environment ?

From: "Rivest, Philippe" <PRivest () transforce ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 11:07:00 -0500

I'M not sure we are tackling this the right way. The question that was ask
is "is it overkill for a desktop only environment".

Every time you want to implement a control, you need to evaluate if you need
it (cost-benefit). If theres no need for IDS (H-N) at all, don’t implement
them. But if you are the NSA and have (for what ever reason) a desktop only
environment in on of their branch/location, you MIGHT want to have these
controls. But at home, I really don’t care about a N/H-IDS.

So yes its overkill if your environment does not need that level of
protection and No its not overkill if you need it.

Risk management all the way.

Philippe Rivest - CEH, Network+, Server+, A+
TransForce Inc.
Internal auditor - Information security
Verificateur interne - Securite de l'information

8585 Trans-Canada Highway, Suite 300
Saint-Laurent (Quebec) H4S 1Z6
Tel.: 514-331-4417
Fax: 514-856-7541