Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: forensics procedure for PC analysis

From: Richard Thomas <austindad () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 10:50:26 -0500

John,

Now that would be a long email.  I have done exactly what you are
looking to do.  The success in forensic analysis is all about your
process, documentation, and experience.  dd will work as long as you
use the proper options to ensure a bit-level copy of the data.  Never
perform your analysis on the suspect drive, only on the bit-level
copy.  If you suspect a computer of containing evidence, no graceful
shutdowns, no looking around, just pull the plug and acquire your
copy.  Document all steps and results as if the information will be
used in a court case.  Consult an attorney regarding specifics.  Here
is an interesting writeup on the process with some good references at
the end.  Good luck.

http://www.search.org/files/pdf/CollectEvidenceRunComputer.pdf

Richard Thomas