Security Basics mailing list archives

Fwd: Project documentation

From: kevin fielder <kevin.fielder () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 13:45:05 +0100

Hiya,

Depending on your needs - are you looking for and entire set of project
documentation from inception to completion, or more for some sort of
solutions / architecture and support document set?

What is your goal / requirements from this documentation? -

 - Is this so you can understand the components of a system
(architecture), and at what level(s) - logical, physical, component /
interface?

 - Is it so you can support the system from an admin perspective (e.g.
click option X to resolve issue Y etc)?

Answering these will define the documentation you need and where it will
come from -
e.g. a vendor could provide generic logical and component diagrams, but
would need to work with you for someone to produce the logical diagram
specific to your environment, and clearly your teams would need to be
heavily involved in producing any diagrams detailing your physical
infrastructure and how the system integrates with your systems.

So in short define what you need and what you are trying to achieve from
the documentation and work from there.

Cheers

Kevin