Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: wildcard SSL, is this a bad thing?

From: Aarón Mizrachi <unmanarc () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 03:23:34 -0430

On Miércoles 29 Abril 2009 17:26:48 robsonde () gmail com escribió:
what have gone for is to re-work our c-name's and then make more restricted
certs.

so svr1.intranet.company.com becomes 1.svr.intranet.company.com
then we make a cert for *.svr.intranet.company.com
we only have the 4 servers in the svr.intranet.company.com

should the cert's get hacked/obtained we only have 4 servers that match on
domain name.

You must evaluate your choice.

only you understand your security and diferences between your servers... if
there is a large breach between security from server 1 to 4, you can choice
not to use wildcards, assume risks, or secure weak servers.

good luck