Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Programming SKills for PT...?

From: Robin Wood <dninja () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 20:34:16 +0100

2009/5/4 Swaminathan, Balaji <Balaji.Swaminathan () kla-tencor com>:

Hi all,

1. What are the programming/scripting languages needed to accompolish
the above?
2. I see most of the real hackers are well proficient in almost all of
the the technologies like Networking, Application/WebApplcn testing, OS
etc. Is it so...?
3. Are there any other skills/requirements that you can suggest to be a
successful Hacker?

For programming languages, I believe once you can program well the
actual language is irrelevant, it is the mental skill set that you
need to work out how to solve the problem that is important.

To get into programming I'd suggest starting with a scripting
language, probably the easiest and most documented two at the moment
are ruby and python. Pick one (and probably get stick from followers
of the other) and get used to using it, write some scripts to automate
your daily routines and just play with it. The more you use it the
more you will see where you can use it to help solve things and so the
more you will use it.

If you are interested in a certain area of security have a look at
what other tools in that area are written so you have something to
copy and learn off.

Robin