Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: SMTP behind NAT

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 12:44:58 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Murda Mcloud [mailto:murdamcloud () bigpond com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 5:51 PM
To: 'Georg Pichler'
Cc: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: RE: SMTP behind NAT

<snip>

Well, if it were my network then I would also want to
control, filter and monitor egress as well as ingress. But
then I have become more paranoid in my old age. Even at home
I do that-I filter both ingoing and outgoing.
One reason being that I want to make sure that if Trojans etc
are active in my network then I have a greater chance of
noticing and taking appropriate action. I guess at heart I'm
a 'default deny' type of guy.

  Egress filtering is part of being a "good netizen".  If something
that doesn't belong has gotten into your network, it's nice to not
be the vector that spreads it to others.

  Also, an awful lot of malware will bet into even a well-secured
network (and dorm networks are often held to a lower standard than
that...) by a wide variety of usually legitimate routes -- http,
https, carried in on a device that got infected elsewhere...
Blocking all of these ingresses is rarely practical, but catching
the malware at egress (phoning home, dishing out spam, etc) is
often very effective at finding only the bad guys and not constantly
throwing false positives or blocking legitimate activity.

David Gillett