Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: which is next step after using tools in penetration testing?

From: Meenal Mukadam <meenal.mukadam () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 00:37:28 +0530

Hello Manoj,

Let me clear a point. Penetration test is not just about using tools.
Do visit this site
http://www.vulnerabilityassessment.co.uk/Penetration%20Test.html

I would like to add to Mr. Vivek's great reply. Before conducting a PT
for your organization you need to clearly understand the Business
objectives of your organization along with your organization's
Security appetite.

1) Study the Information Security policy document and other related
documents of your organization

2) Clearly list what is the scope/exclusions for your PT and what is
expected result from the exercise

2) Try and gather as much as information possible

3) Identify the possible loopholes

4) Once you have identified the weaknesses try and exploit them

5) Gather evidence at each and every stage of you PT (Snapshots, tools
report, policy and documents, etc.)

6) Draft a clear & comprehensive report presenting the findings and
recommendations if any

You can exploit the loopholes using tools. But this is just one way to
do it. You can try various other testing methods. You can do Social
engg., dumpster diving, etc. For this you don't even need to know
scripting. You need to have sound Interpersonal skills.

Eg: You want to escalate your priveledges to get your hands on your
organization's confidential information. You can use tools, SQL
queries, brute force methods, etc. But the simplest way is get your
Admins/Information owner's password :)

So wish you all the best with your PT exercise :)

Regards,

Meenal A. Mukadam