Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Securing a Network - What's the most secure Network/Server OS? - Is there a secure way to use Shares?

From: praveen_recker () sify com
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 08:50:37 -0700

Hi Chip,
1. Which Server Operating system should I install on my Server?
Ans: Any Linux distro will do the job. Go for stable OS and keep on updating regularly.
2. To make the Network fast (e.g. Gigabit NICs on all computers & more
Servers etc.), as well as secure, what would I need to do?
Ans: How to make n/w fast. Thinking???
3. What is the best way to have 256-bit encryption of all traffic on
this network?
Ans: 256 bit encryption of all traffic. Didn't understand why is it needed. Anyways, you can use secure protocols like
HTTPS, SMTPS etc
4. Is it possible to have Shared folders, yet still attain a
high-level of security on this Network?
Ans: Yes. You Can....Active Directory on Windows, LDAP for Linux but not sure.
5. Would it be possible to have Centralised Storage/Resources?
Ans: Yes...Active Directory on Windows, LDAP for Linux but not sure.
6. Could it be possible to have a Centralised User Account database,
for this entire network?
Ans: Yes.
RADIUS, TACAS can be used for Authentication I think these might be useful in this scenario.

Best Regards,
Praveen Darshanam,
Security Researcher,
INDIA