Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: NMAP CIDR Subnet Scan?

From: Srikanth Dabbiru <srikanthdab () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 16:22:05 -0700 (PDT)

Are you saying that in WakeOnLan, even if you specify a single subnet, it
scans *all* the subnets on your network ?

NMAP has something called 'Target Specification' where you could input a
file, might want to try that.

Regards,
Srikanth.

mgrant1 wrote:

This concerns the NMAP -sP functionality.

The Macintosh (ducks) program WakeOnLan is capable of scanning a subnet
and
returning all addresses: private 10 addresses, 169 autoconfigured
machines,
everything, all in one list.

For example: At the University of Rhode Island, the configuration is
131.128.subnet.X and WakeOnLan shows 131.128, 169.254, and 10 (private)
addresses.

With NMAP, if I scan 131.128.subnet.0/24, I can see only 131.128
addresses. If
I scan 10.1.subnet.0/24, I can see only 10 addresses. If I have to specify
what I'm scanning, I'm obviously going to miss something I haven't looked
for.

On the other hand, if I scan *.*.subnet.* or *.*.subnet.0/24 I get a slew
of
errors. Is there a better way to go about this, to scan a subnet with NMAP
and
return everything on it?

Thanks.