Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security Jobs

From: Drew Brown <dbrown () byu net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 19:40:56 -0400

One thing to bear in mind is that security is much more than
technology. It's process understanding and audit technique. I'd invite
the list to share their thoughts, but I would ask yourself: if there
is a suspected compromise, can you go through the processes to detect
it? If yes, you probably have solid IT skills. But then, do you
understand the controls and processes to mitigate it? These are
largely not systems/IT skills. It seems to me that hacking takes
mostly IT know-how, but prevention and detection require an auditor's
toolkit as well.