Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: A good question about NIDS & HIDS or why NIDS ant not just HIDS?

From: Kel <kellstr () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 19:27:44 -0400

 Most "attacks" are actually against web browsers and are usually like
a booby trap. A piece of malicious code is inserted in a web site
waiting for someone to trigger it. That payload may install a keystoke
reader on that computer and now every password entered on that box
goes back to the attacker. This isn't a server so you haven't
installed HIDS.

Personally, if I were going to attack a network I'd go after the
printers first, establish my foothold there, and then work on the
servers.