Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Regarding Private key

From: Stefan Castille <stefan.castille () custodix com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 17:18:31 +0200

I would propose the following solution.

1) get a USB smartcard token (eg egate) and store the key there. They are inexpensive and should do the trick. That way you can only encrypt and decrypt the message if you are in possession of the physical token and know the pin passphrase. This will also mean that failed attempts to decrypt the file will be noticed (your smartcard will be locked)

2) descrypt and encrypt the file on a memory filesystem so it is never stored on disk

3) enable encryption for the swap partition

With kind regards,
Stefan Castille

stefan.castille () custodix com
+32 9 210 78 91