Security Basics mailing list archives

World Writeable files and directories

From: venkatesh.selvaraju () gmail com
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 23:16:19 -0600

Hi there,

I'm preparing a policy document for world writeable elements in *NIX.

The documents talks about the potential threats and exploits of letting a critical file or directory as world
writeable. Also, listing out the exceptions wherein it's ok to have world writeable elements due to various reasons.

There is a section within the document wherein I'm planning to insert a spreadsheet with the listing of all system
files which should not be world writable. In general, files beginning with a period should not be world- or
group-writable and .login; .rhosts; dev/drum; /dev/mem; /dev/kmem;  /etc/passwd and /etc/group to say the least.

However, I'm looking for a more comprehensive listing of all system files and directories which the UNIX operations
team needs to ensure that they explicitly turn off the world writable permission. Can someone let me know where do I
find this info? Any assistance you facilitate is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Venkatesh