Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Anti-Virus Updates - How?

From: Kurt Buff <kurt.buff () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 11:50:36 -0700

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 07:49, Ian Bradshaw<ian () ianbradshaw net> wrote:
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has a plan for deployment of AV updates?

There have been a couple of AV updates that have trashed systems recently
(one from CA and one from McAfee).

Neither of these have affected me (fortunately) but we do have all our
systems set to update to the latest definitions - so guess it will happen at
some point.

The problem is, in a small IT department (4 staff with ~5,000 pcs/laptops
over 10 geographic locations - we don't have much spare time!), what is the
best way to deploy AV updates?

Given the number of updates sent out, it's not feasible to test them all
when they are released.

So, leave auto-update on or hold back and test say once a week and update
then, or what?

Any thoughts? / how do people do it at the moment?

Cheers

I.

Most decent AV systems have a control console and one or more
repositories that allow you to set policies on client updates.
Sunbelt's VIPRE, and McAfee and Trend  plus most others, I'm sure.

They should allow you to schedule normal updates and push emergency
updates as well as push the client to new machines on demand.

If you're doing manual installtions, you're doing it wrong, IMHO.

Kurt

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1