Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: getting routes from internet facing routers

From: Shreyas Zare <shreyas () technitium com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 21:44:10 +0530

Hi Martin,

Attacker can get the routing info by exploiting routing protocol in
use or the router itself. Routers run on OS which can have security
vulnerability, which is not patched. This can be exploited to get
access and modify the config to the attackers benefit. Like he may
change routing table so that the traffic passed through his network or
get info on the internal network for further penetration. Such things
are possible only when proper ACLs is not in place or if they are
misconfigured.

Regards,