Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Access Sharing folder

From: Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 19:19:41 +0200

On 2009-07-16 Ramki B Ramakrishnan wrote:
I agree. Access to administrative shares should be restricted to
administrators. There may be situations where one will want to make a
whole partition accessible to his users, but for situations like that
it'd be better to share the drive with a "speaking" name rather than
the drive letter. And assign appropriate permissions, of course.

[Ramakrishnan B] I wonder, in a file server what situation could
warrant sharing a entire partition; an explanation would add value.

For instance a fileserver for a (small) workgroup, where all members are
working on just one share. It would be rather pointless to share a
single folder inside the root directory instead of the root directory
itself.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1