Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Passive Snort Setup

From: "Ivan ." <ivanhec () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 14:40:54 +1100

hogwash may be your answer. If I recall correctly there may be
something based on Snort that works inline

http://hogwash.sourceforge.net/docs/setting.html

Inline Scrubber Mode

In Inline Scrubber Mode, Hogwash actively filters exploits from
traffic. It can forge resets, drop the packet, or modify the packet in
transit to defeat an attack. Hogwash can manage up to 16 different
interfaces at one time.

Hogwash is completely transparent, so there is no need to configure
your existing network to install hogwash. Simply build the box, plug
the existing ethernet cable into the Hogwash box, and plug a crossover
cable into the jack that the old ethernet cable went into.

There are a number of routing options available, but most people
simply use Hogwash as a packet filter.

Typical Network Diagram in Inline Scrubber Mode: