Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: auditing a systemused for spamming

From: Chris Firth <lists () 100mb com au>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 00:05:39 +0800

        It was a Fedora 6, and the only way to access
        it was via ssh.

As I read on it seems as though it allowed HTTP too. Did it also allow FTP? I have regularly seen comprised FTP credentials which result in a "Dark Mailer" perl script being uploaded and executed, and then deleted shortly after. If the system does run a FTP server check the logs and see if anything has been uploaded and deleted.

Are their any contact forms on the site? Is it possible that they have been exploited?

Thats a couple of things I can think of off the top of my head.