Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: BIBA Model

From: Richard Thomas <austindad () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 09:58:25 -0500

Munya,

First of all, you need to understand that Biba, Bell-Lapadula,
Clark-Wilson, et al, are theoretical models.  (Wikipedia has some
decent write ups on these models -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell-La_Padula_model)  So, you would not
ask if an OS is based on one of these, since most systems have
elements of both.  You might ask if the security priorities of a
system are primarily focused on integrity or confidentiality.  Also,
in actual implementation, if you look at the previous Orange Book (you
can find the Rainbow series here -
http://www.fas.org/irp/nsa/rainbow.htm) levels, MAC was always layered
on top of DAC.  My recommendation to you, if you work for a federal
department, is to look for products that are Common Criteria
validated.  This is an international standard (ISO 15408) for
evaluating the assurance levels of IT products.  In the Security
Targets (ST) of the validated products, you should find the
information you are looking for.  The web site
commoncriteriaportal.org is a great place to start.  Good luck.

Richard Thomas