Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Encryption and Data Retention

From: "jacco" <computerguy () citlink net>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 22:43:37 -0500

Hi S0h0us,

Let me start with: your description on how it happens and what exactly is
the level of confidentiality of the data will very much influence the
outcome of this story.

From reading your letter I see both your points; if the information is of
confidential level,security should be taking presence over speed,it is like
saying "lets leave the front door of the house unlocked and open wide 24 / 7
so if there is a once in a lifetime fire, we can escape faster that way"

Any moving of the data should be preceded by an encryption, it can be done
very simple and very fast (Choose from fast protocols like AES, TwoFish or
any other fast encryption)

When a real disaster happens (which luckily
does not happen often) the decryption of the data will happen
simultaneously to rebuilding the server / fixing the disaster : it should
nearly to not impact the re-implementation speed ( in most cases) of the
data, like the claim of your Business Continuity Officer was.

Conclusion:  in this case (without further facts about the data, rescue
timeline, planning of disaster recovery) the lack of security on transported
(physically by courier) confidential data on a day-to-day basis should be outweighing
the single instance of a disaster with ease.

Jacco"Dash"Rorman
"Ad Astra per Administratio Aspera"

original Message ----- From: <s0h0us () yahoo com>