Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: newbie question about honeypot

From: "Rivest, Philippe" <PRivest () transforce ca>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 11:39:45 -0400

Regards

I believe you have the wrong objective for a HoneyPot (or honeynet).
These technologies are use to make an attacker believe a system is more
vulnerable than another (the real live production box). As such the attacker
will hit the Honeypot first (hopefully), waste time and if you are
lucky/wise alert you before any damage is done.

You shouldn't try to fool an attacker into thinking you are more vulnerable
than you are. Be secure; don’t add ports on iptables just for the sake of
the honeypot.

What you want, hiding port and messing up the fingerprint is a totally
different issue and is OS (and protocol) specific. You could, for example,
change the banner, change the ports and modify the IP settings (Flags and
timeout and so one) so that nmap believes you are someone you are not.

I'm no expert into this specific subject and cant help you setup it on your
machine (not knowning what kind of *Nix you are using). How ever, I do know
that theres a bunch of data out there for that.

Passive-Aggressive Resistance: OS Fingerprint Evasion
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4750

Have fun
Noted by someelse on the net:
Trying to modify your OS fingerprint is a fun trick, but you might remind
your security auditors that it's nothing more than "security by obscurity".
(i.e. Waste of effort, IMO.)
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/misc/96516-os-fingerprint-change.html

being an auditor, I agree its security by obscurity. Its bad if it’s the
only step you take (IMHO)

Philippe Rivest - CEH, Network+, Server+, A+
TransForce Inc.
Internal auditor - Information security
Verificateur interne - Securite de l'information

8585 Trans-Canada Highway, Suite 300
Saint-Laurent (Quebec) H4S 1Z6
Tel.: 514-331-4417
Fax: 514-856-7541