Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Judge orders defendant to decrypt PGP-protected laptop - CNET News

From: Stephen Mullins <steve.mullins.work () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 14:32:16 -0400

There are really two scenarios here.  In one you know the password and
may not wish to divulge it.  In the other, you have legitimately
forgotten the password.

Assuming this is all working through the legal system, you could
challenge the lower court rulings and wait for the Supreme Court to
make a ruling (I'm sure this will end up at that level before it's all
said and done).  You might rot in jail in the interim.

At that point you would consult with your lawyer on whether the
encrypted data is damaging enough to land you in prison for longer
than the "refusal to hand over password" mandatory sentence.

If you have legitimately forgotten the password then you would serve
the mandatory minimum sentence for refusal to hand over passwords to
law enforcement.  I believe the mandatory minimum sentence for someone
suspected of terrorism in the U.K. that refuses to hand over passwords
is 5 years.  The sentence for just about anything related to terrorism
is probably much more severe.  Your mileage may vary.

It would be stupid to make use of encryption technology in a nation
with mandatory minimum sentences for refusal to hand over passwords
unless the data you are encrypting is more damning than the minimum
sentence.  This leads to a fun situation where you can logically make
the argument that anyone using encryption MUST be up to felonious
deeds that carry a sentence greater than the minimum.  This just
doubles up on the defacto encryption ban in a nation with such laws.