Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Help with C/C++ socket programming

From: Alexander Klimov <alserkli () inbox ru>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 17:16:11 +0300 (IDT)

On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, Siddharth Upmanyu wrote:
I was trying to write a simple http client and it is working
fine on direct connection (like connecting to google.com on
port 80 and downloading the html to a file)

the problem is I want to make it run on http proxy which is
set in my default browser, how can i findout this proxy
ip/port from my c code...  it shouldnt matter whatever browser
it is (i can use IE specific registry values but this wont
work on other browsers...)

If you want to write a proxy server you need to set your browser
to use it. The value is browser-specific -- probably, you can
guess it with netstat, but it is not clear what is the use-case
where you already have your browser configured with some particular
proxy and then use proxy to guess this setting.

If you do not want to change configuration of your browser you
can use a "transparent proxy" (check it out in Wikipedia). You
can redirect traffic to your proxy with wipfw. You can also
write a driver using API of personal firewalls, but it will be
more complicated.

--
Regards,
ASK