Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Corporate policy question - Personal Laptops

From: "guiness.stout" <guinness.stout () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 14:22:11 -0400

What will you do if the terminated employee has an excellent memory?

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 8:20 AM, Rivest, Philippe <PRivest () transforce ca> wrote:
I don't think it is your "right" or "business" to go into the laptop and even
just read some of his files to see if theres work related. It is a personnal
laptop and as such not own by the company. At this point, how far will you
go? I mean would you log in his personnal computer and lunch his MSN to see
if you can connect to his hotmail and then delete work stuff?

Seriously your NDA should be your protection against the laptop and the
employe. He would be respectfully "obliged" to not disclose any information
he had been in touch with while working with your corporation. Also all his
applications and files (now useless to him) would be deleted at one point.

If at one point you allow in your corporate policy that employe can bring
there own laptop at work, there USB key or even connect home (or bring there
job laptop home) then you already have open MANY doors by which you have no
option beside "let it go".

(Btw, if I was that employe and you had my laptop, if you erased the content
of it, I would make sure that if I had any loss of information (personnal or
work related with another corporation) send you a letter from an attorney.
That's JUST if you wipe my drive, if you fire me b4 I might not even be shy
to do this)

Merci / Thanks
Philippe Rivest, CEH, Network+, Server+, A+
Vérificateur interne en sécurité de l'information
Courriel: Privest () transforce ca
Téléphone: (514) 331-4417
www.transforce.ca

Vous pourriez imprimer ce courriel, mais faire pousser un arbre c'est long.
You could print this email, but it does takes a long time to grow trees.
"Everything that can fail, will fail. If something can't fail, it will fail
anyway" - Murphy