Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Designing file server file/folder structure.

From: "Nick Vaernhoej" <nick.vaernhoej () capitalcardservices com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 10:36:04 -0500

Good morning,

I received some great advice thank you for that.
To the person letting me know he is willing to help if I pay him;
thanks, but no thanks.

There were some suggestion recommending various "software solutions".
While there are a great many pieces of software out there I have yet to
come across anything that improves on basic NTFS permissions.
In my opinion, if you can't keep your permissions straight, a tool will
likely not be the better long term choice. I am fairly confident the
mess I am looking at is the result of people not understanding what they
are dealing with. Of course, there are very valid exceptions. I just
don't look at 3rd party software to begin with. The recommendations for
ABE and Cacls.exe is appreciated and I don't view them as solutions but
rather a tools.

I was also (off-list) sent a spreadsheet layout of permissions. Noting
it is a 95% mirror of what I have created for myself it is comforting to
know others are doing the same thing. Thanks Grayling.

Murda, I thought about your venn diagram but thinking 3 steps ahead made
my head spin. When everyone has access to almost the same files it
become one big blob! I ended up spreadsheeting access to folders down to
groups and users. Took me a day but at least it has show and tell value
when I go cry on my managers shoulder in desperation.
The user part is what is tremendously difficult here. It is almost a
universal law that nothing can be expected from the end users here.
We have a very functional sneakernet because end users are never to
experience anything unknown meaning late nights of double checking
changes to workstations.

Another off-list suggestion to create groups for each department and
base access to folder on these.

I cleaned up our AD environment about 2 years back by now.
It was an equal mess created/maintained by the same people responsible
for the files server "design".
I ended up with something like the following for one domain hosting two
physical locations.

   Domain
        |__Department1Grp
                |___ManagementGrp
                                |________Site1Grp
                                |               |___EmployeeLvl1Grp
                                |               |___EmployeeLvl2Grp

                                |________Site2Grp
                                                |___EmployeeLvl1Grp
                                                |___EmployeeLvl2Grp

This is simplified but a basic overview. An identical layout exists for
all departments and group memberships are designed to allow for great
functionality. Getting to the point we are now has significantly reduced
helpdesk tickets related to oversights in user creation etc.
I have groups dedicated to folder permissions as well.
For example a group granting access to the Marketing Drive has group
members like EmployeeLvl1Grp and I can therefore be fairly granular.

In conclusion to this rather long blurp, I am thinking the following for
simple folder security.
A shared "Departments" drive with all departments listed. Each
department subfolder is accessible by everyone. Subfolders of individual
departments are managed individually with only the owning department as
the default allowed group.

Thank you to everyone.

Nick