Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: using promiscuous mode to tabulate network statistics

From: "Terra Frost" <terrafrost () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 17:41:28 -0600

Hadn't thought about that.  On Windows XP, though, it (well, the Local
Area Connection Status thing) doesn't tell you how many bytes (or KB,
MB, or whatever) it's sent, but rather, how many packets.  Since
packets can be of any arbitrary size, that seems to be of limited
usefulness.

Also, the stats reset when you turn the machine off.  I'd like to be
able to just leave this one machine on for a few days and see which
computer has sent the most, be it in one "session" or not.  All the
computers have static IP addresses, so correlating them by IP address
shouldn't be a problem.