Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: home-lab environment

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 08:54:16 -0700

I still prefer having different physical boxes around along with different hard drives that I can swap in and out for
whatever OS I need at the time. Obviously these are old throw-away boxes that are just powerful enough to run the OS
and that's about it. If you know any IT people or are one yourself, you should be able to scrounge up several.

For starting out, I still recommend getting your hands on Windows 2000 versions and Windows XP SP1 and SP2 installs.
Running exploits against those boxes makes a nice baseline for tools and a good learning opportunity.

Likewise, having physical boxes will force you to think about the network side of things a little more too, and maybe
afford flexibility to implementing firewalls or routers or IDS/IPS systems without having to work around the
often-confusing mess than virtual networking can be.

<- snip ->