Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: DSS (Passing an audit is NOT compliance!)

From: Craig Wright <Craig.Wright () bdo com au>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 05:54:15 +1000

"Simplified and all. Since access to a shared administrative account can be tracked down to the actual who. Why add
multiple accounts to one of the first systems likely to be compromised?"

You are adding non-privileged accounts and then requiring escalation. The log will record the initial user for tracking
and the capture of the account (keystrokes etc) will only compromise a single user account where triggers may be set on
the system.

So you log in as "bob" and SUDO to a root equivalent account. This can and should vary by users and the escalation
account should be set to not be allowed to log in directly.

Craig

Craig Wright
Manager, Risk Advisory Services

Direct : +61 2 9286 5497
Craig.Wright () bdo com au
+61 417 683 914

BDO Kendalls (NSW-VIC) Pty. Ltd.
Level 19, 2 Market Street Sydney NSW 2000
GPO BOX 2551 Sydney NSW 2001
Fax +61 2 9993 9497
http://www.bdo.com.au/

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential. If you are not the named addressee you must not
read, print, copy, distribute, or use in any way this transmission or any information it contains. If you have received
this message in error, please notify the sender by return email, destroy all copies and delete it from your system.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls.
You may not rely on this message as advice unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter signed by a Partner or
Director of BDO Kendalls. It is your responsibility to scan this communication and any files attached for computer
viruses and other defects. BDO Kendalls does not accept liability for any loss or damage however caused which may
result from this communication or any files attached. A full version of the BDO Kendalls disclaimer, and our Privacy
statement, can be found on the BDO Kendalls website at http://www.bdo.com.au/ or by emailing mailto:administrator ()
bdo com au.

BDO Kendalls is a national association of separate partnerships and entities. Liability limited by a scheme approved
under Professional Standards Legislation.