Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: DSS

From: Adriel Desautels <adriel () netragard com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 12:52:53 -0400

Right,
But don't you think that the check-list should already be more stringent? Businesses haven't stopped being compromised as a result of compliant. In fact, if I am not mistaken the number of businesses being compromised (compliant or not) is still rising.

I guess that the real question is, what are people trying to protect themselves against, real world malicious hackers, or the penalties for not being compliant?

Regards,
        Adriel T. Desautels
        Chief Technology Officer
        Netragard, LLC.
        Office : 617-934-0269
        Mobile : 617-633-3821
        http://www.linkedin.com/pub/1/118/a45

        Join the Netragard, LLC. Linked In Group:
        http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/48683/0B98E1705142

Netragard, LLC - http://www.netragard.com  -  "We make IT Safe"
Penetration Testing, Vulnerability Assessments, Website Security

Netragard Whitepaper Downloads:
-------------------------------
Choosing the right provider : http://tinyurl.com/2ahk3j
Three Things you must know  : http://tinyurl.com/26pjsn

Nick Duda wrote:
Its better than not having it.

how does your company know what your doing and protecting them from real world threats...etc.

I think pci dss has a great foundation for implementing best practicies....a checklist if you will (which is pretty much
what it is anyway). It also gets companies that don't deploy best practices (like an IDS) to start doing (whether they
know what to do with it is another story)

<Sent from Blackberry>

Just out of curiosity, how many people here thinks that PCI does
anything to protect you from the real world threat?

Regards,
        Adriel T. Desautels
        Chief Technology Officer
        Netragard, LLC.
        Office : 617-934-0269
        Mobile : 617-633-3821
        http://www.linkedin.com/pub/1/118/a45

        Join the Netragard, LLC. Linked In Group:
        http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/48683/0B98E1705142

Netragard, LLC - http://www.netragard.com  -  "We make IT Safe"
Penetration Testing, Vulnerability Assessments, Website Security

Netragard Whitepaper Downloads:
-------------------------------
Choosing the right provider : http://tinyurl.com/2ahk3j
Three Things you must know  : http://tinyurl.com/26pjsn

Nick Vaernhoej wrote:
Good morning,

Have you scanned through the supplemental information regarding 6.6?
https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/pdfs/infosupp_6_6_applicationfirewa
lls_codereviews.pdf

You have two options, code review or web application firewall.
You state that you already have custom code reviewed so I would think
you are in good shape.
What makes you think you need to do both? (It is a good idea to do so of
course, but not necessary to satisfy PCI).

Have a great day.

Nick Vaernhoej