Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: SOX Standard - Where and How to Start ?

From: "Dave Lewis" <dlewis () security-connect com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 08:41:57 -0600

You've embarked on an interesting adventure... :)

Unlike ISO standards where everyone meets the same criteria with standardized methods, you get to choose your methods
in reaching SOX compliance which leads to the ambiguous path you're on.

A top-down approach will most likely serve you best:

- Select your audit standard: SAS 70 was required for us.
- Select your framework of controls: COBIT, COSO, etc.
- Identify affected business units and departments.
- Select appropriate objectives
- Select appropriate controls

You'll probably find internal politics and insufficient policy and procedures. So the outline above is just the
beginning...

Useful links:
www.itgi.org (look for a pdf file named "IT Control Objectives for Sarbanes-Oxley")
www.isaca.org