Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: Cookie Security

From: Audrius <organzarama () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 22:33:48 +0300

Elliott, I have found in my archive what I wanted to explain you (but
my English isn't good enough for word fight) and why your method will
not protect from packets sniffing. It's a 6 min. video on defeating
remote-exploit.com forum client side security. Security implementation
on forum is quite similar to your method and video shows how to defeat
it by using network sniffers.

http://rapidshare.com/files/112803255/Sniff_Forum_Password.rar.html

Just choose "Free", download it and learn. :)

Audrius

 "If I'll get a users password MD5 from cookies,"
 If that information is made available to an attacker, a level of security
has been bypassed already...
 I am protecting from network eavesdropping (packet sniffers) here.

 "It means I must to find a way how to get cookies."
 All web applications suffer this problem, even over SSL. This is NOT what i
am trying to fix here.

 "Actually I do not see any advantages in your method. I think that tokens
can give the same functionality"
 "Both methods are prone to same attacks"
 Both not true. Tokens can be sniffed and used. My method stops this. That
is the advantage.

 "I think you also must concentrate more on other parts of security too"
 I agree, however, any chain is only as strong as it's weakest link... right
now, that is this issue!
 I have analyzed all aspects of the system including client OS, browser,
user awareness (all of which we are lucky enough to manage also) :-)
 Priority has been given to this flaw.