Security Basics mailing list archives

SSL use on non PII pages

From: Dennis Dayman <dennis () thenose net>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 12:42:11 -0500

So I had an interesting question that came up at my new job. Why would
anyone want an SSL certificate for a site that does NOT contain an PII
or login process on it? Now I am asking this question here because I
know at one point the AOTA was making recommendations for extended SSL
cert to websites to help with phishing problems?

Why would you have an SSL cert on such a page. They do cost money...

In this process, Verisign is stating they have data that points to the
higher usage of websites that have SSL certs on it even without PII on
them. Is that true? does anyone else know of data that would support
that claim? disprove it? Can anyone explain to me would there be a
positive differences in site usages if it had SSL cert with it vs one
that does not?

-Dennis