Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: File sharing with Bittorrent: what possible security threads?

From: Orlin Gueorguiev <orlin () baturov com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:30:50 +0100

KDE(kdm to be more exact) disables per default the ability to login as root,
thus the session is in 99,99% an user and not admin/root. So the only thing
that might have happend is a user starting a console session with root
rights. An thus your virus need to hack the console session or rootkit. I
prefer playing with aliases more, for example putting  in .bashrc 'sudo
apt-get update'='sudo <run malicios program> && apt-get update'.
I think everybody likes old school tricks.

Cheers
Orlin

На Thursday 27 March 2008 15:31:11 Adam Pal написа:
 "Wow,

send it to me -- I want to see this rarity!" :-)

--
Regards,
ASK

Hi Alex, i would like to add that i see no difference between the usual
Windows-user and the linux-user who stays logged in as root on his KDE and
surfs on the web (yes, such behavioral patterns exists *G*  ), so from this
point of view, in certain circumstances linux viruses propagate similar to
windows-viruses.

regards

Adam