Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Retrieve a mac address box

From: "H. Willstrand" <h.willstrand () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:08:20 +0100

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 12:29 AM,  <dxavsourd-nilux () yahoo fr> wrote:
Hello,

 I'm not sure that my question suits the scope of this
 list, sorry if I'm wrong.

 I want to find a way to send a packet to a wired box
 which ip address is unknown, and where no dhcp client
 and/or server runs, in order to find the MAC address
 of the target. Is there a way to do this using
 Ethernet protocol

 What kind of software is the most usefull for this
 kind of software? How could Nmap be helpfull ? I found
 the ethernet packet generator Packeth tool on my
 debian box, but I don't know how to use it and
 generate well formed packets. Can I get any advice ?

 Thanks, Xavier Droubay

Hi!

If you can isolate the box to a subnet alone with your Debian machine
you can try the following:
nmap -sT -PI -PT 192.168.0.0/16
nmap -sT -PI -PT 10.0.0.0/8

Alternatively you can use wireshark, iptraf, tcpdump, etc. to sample
and analyze network traffic. This requires that you actually can
sample all network traffic to and from the box, e.g. switch with IDS
port or a old plain hub.

Regards,
H.Willstrand

 Nouveau : téléphonez moins cher avec Yahoo! Messenger ! Découvez les tarifs exceptionnels pour appeler la France et
l'international.