Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Protecting USB hard drives that have backup data on them

From: Dennis Dayman <dennis () thenose net>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 04:35:03 -0500

Scott Race wrote:
I have a few USB hard drives that I use for redundant backup purposes,
as a 'just in case'.  I like having the USB as it allows me to move them
around, though I realize they are not safe since they can be stolen much
easier.
Would full disk encryption be the best way to secure these? I know I
could mount the drives internally, but would like to keep them USB and
just secure as best I can. My goal is to make it so that if someone did steal the drives, the data
could not be removed.  I also want to make it easy for my backup
software (using RSYNC for Windows) to write to the drive.  Any advice is
appreciated. Thanks!

I think Dave Jevans (founder of APWG) new company Ironkey does this.

https://www.ironkey.com/

-Dennis