Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: remote authentication

From: Abe Getchell <me () abegetchell com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 20:44:32 -0400

...but then you have an even BIGGER problem, as giving the password to a
third party makes that third party accountable. If I were managing a
group of people in a situation such as this, and part of a process was
to send passwords along to my users, I would be quite uncomfortable. For
example, if "Jimmy" has access to sensitive information, and records
show that Jimmy accessed this information and used it for purposes other
than directed, I could be held accountable because I knew Jimmy's
password and was able to gain access to resources using his account
(even if the password had been changed).

-
Abe Getchell
me () abegetchell com
http://abegetchell.com/