Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: FW: EC-Council Network Security Administrator Course attains the NSA / CNSS 4011 Certification

From: Baki Gábor <baki.gabor () infobia hu>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 12:23:58 +0100

p1g,

I'm not just talking about the very old content, however it's also a quite big mistake.
I'd rather mention the very very serious errors of the topic...
- The server won't ever use the client's private key, 'cause it's a private key. A private key is everytimes used just by it's owner. That's why it's called private. - IPSec IS able to encrypt the network traffic! If EC Council thinks that it's not true, they should attend for a course. Of course they won't find a Windows 2000 course nowadays... They shouldn't even teach it. As well as bicycles aren't made from wood any more. - Microsoft's EFS works well for file encryption based on PKI. And it works not only the encryption (as it is written in the book) but the decryption as well. Of course the system administrators should know what's going on in the background, how to handle the recovery agents and so on. It's also a topic of a course EC Council guys should attend for. After finding these 3 examples next to each other, within about 6 pages I decided not to use this book for the course. I may have made a mistake but I'm sure, that holding a course shouldn't be just running through the possible questions of the exam...

Kidnd reagrds,
Gabor Baki
CISA, CISM, MCSE, MCT, whatever

p1g írta:
Baki,  I agree.

Leonard,

More is not better, so remove the older garbage from the courseware
for CEH and CHFI.
Sometimes I think you guys are shooting for the biggest 3 ring binder award.

No insult intended.