Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: FDE solution for laptops

From: "SecureNA - Subs" <subs () securena com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 13:06:36 -0400

Sapran -

I dropped SecureDoc after a year and a half due to ongoing problems with Dell Latitude D4xx series laptop. Admittedly
we did not get off on the right foot when they first installation killed sound in Windows. After contacting support, I
had to configure a special bios mode on every laptop to enable sound going forward. Then, I had a user whose machine
would regularly get to the bootloader screen and lock with a 0x07 stop error. This also happened intermittently when
the laptops were removed from the docking stations. Two other users had SDPIN.exe crashes (the SecureDoc startup app).
Too much trouble for a product that should be invisible. I've now moved to PGP WDE (Whole Disk Encryption) and have
seen all of these issues go away. The boot loader is nicer, the product GUI more polished (not that this is much of a
point), and like SecureDoc, you can offload the keys to a separate location. Both products can be centrally managed,
but my clients don't have the funds for that addition.

Joel