Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Need Horror Stories

From: Hattrickinc <hattrickinc () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 18:04:13 -0400

Or u can just do a pentest type report, hack the shit out of them, then end the presentation with a ".. Told you"

Sent from my hacked iPhone :-)

On Jun 4, 2008, at 2:38 PM, "Matt" <mbuyukozer () gmx co uk> wrote:

Hi Donovan,

I’m hoping getting your question right. Things that I could think on top of my head:

-For Virus protection: I would illustrate an virus attack (changing the contents of word documents or other types of files that are widely used) on a vmware machine live. One scenario would be, you receive an email from Outlook on a computer without antivirus and it happened to be .exe, .scr file and it starts destroying the contents of hard drive.

-For Firewall protection: I would use a windows box with default shares open and you put some family pictures or other private documents under My Documents and you can connect to that laptop wirelessly and show them how easily you can access to those files.

-For Wireless and Router protection: I would use a simple Linksys router without any security configuration on it and show them you can access to internet using their internet service and you can even access to their shared resources. I would do some data capturing on wireless but it would be very technical for them and they would reject to listen.

I don’t think these are very scary stories but hopefully it will be enough to horrify them ☺
Matt

Security Systems Products and Services
http://www.a1securitycameras.com