Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Choosing unique passwords - how paranoid is too paranoid?

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 14:09:23 +0200

On 2008-06-25 Orlin Gueorguiev wrote:
On Wednesday 25 June 2008 05:27:37 Johann MacDonagh wrote:
This has worked out better. I've started using mnemonics to remember
each system's unique part. Muscle memory!

I have 3 passwords. One for no security(like the password for the
quest account), one for forums or minimal security, one for secured
stuff(everything with money). Now... I think I got a little inspired
from your post and I might actually start generating passwords for
each different domain, based on a password mixed in some way with the
domain name. For example password is password, domain is eBay (make a
mnemonic buysellbuy), mixes password: buypasssellwordbuy /*will have
to think about something better*/ (and then 1337 it), final
B@iPazZC3llw0R7bA1. because I have a general password combined with
something easy to remember, and leeting it, I believe it would be hard
for someone to find it, especially because different people have
different expirience and will probably have different mnemonic.

google://kerckhoff+principle

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."